Saturday, December 6, 2008

Happy St. Nick's Day!

I hope everyone had a great St. Nick's Day! Lillian and Andrew were visited by St. Nick last night and enjoyed their goodies in their stockings!

Lillian got a few Christmas books and the Pixar short films collection and Bugs Life dvds. Andrew got a Christmas taggie book and some fun balls to play with.

For those of you who are wondering what in the world I'm talking about and why my kids are opening their stockings today:

Brandon grew up celebrating St. Nick's day and they always opened their stocking then. I noticed it first when I went to his family Christmas several years back that his little cousins were playing with stuff they said they had gotten from St. Nick in their stocking. I assumed since they were Catholic that it was a Catholic tradition because I'd never heard of it, but after my mom asked some of her Catholic friends about it and they don't celebrate it, I researched it a little and found out it is a German and Czech tradition, which makes since because Brandon's family is both and most of his home town is as well, so they all celebrate this holiday. It is based on St. Nicholas coming and leaving gifts in childrens' shoes.

So, my kids are lucky as my sister has said and get a little Christmas early. Happy St. Nick's Day everyone!

No comments:

Labels