Sunday, November 7, 2010

Race for the Cure Weekend 2010



This is our family's 3rd year participating in the Komen Race for the Cure in Austin. We raced the first year just for the good cause and to run our first 5k's together, but then last year, our Mom, Teddy, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She fought hard, had a double mastectomy and chemo to beat it. But then just last week, we found out after she went in to get a lump under her arm checked that the cancer was back again. She had the lump removed and now will have to undergo radiation and chemo again when it heals.


So my sisters and mom came in this weekend to participate in the race. We had an awesome time visiting and hanging out! Friday, we ate Mexican together and stayed up late singing karaoke in my living room. Oh, and Lillian loved finally getting her present from Katy and Clay, a princess stool for her bedroom! Then Saturday, Brandon took Andrew to the Tx State game, so we had a girls day. We registered my sister Katy and Babies R Us and Target for her baby due in February and did more shopping and eating! I think Lillian enjoyed hanging out with all the aunts and Grandma and soaking up the attention!










Everyone eating Mexican food on Friday















Lillian's new princess stool!



And today of course, we got up early and ran the race! I ran the 5k this year in 30 min. 11 sec. 3 minutes more than my last year time, but I haven't really been training this time, so I thought that was decent considering. Lillian LOVED the race! She went around with Grandma and Aunt Tory collecting all the giveaways and snacks. She keeps saying how she loves her pink ribbon shirt too! I think is is a fun thing she looks forward too and actually remembered it from last year. I think it also was an wonderful event for Mom to be around all the other survivors and have that support at this time when she is starting over again in her battle.








Me after surviving my 3rd Race for the Cure 5k...my 4th 5k
We were sad to see everyone leave this afternoon...especially Andrew, who tried to climb in the car with Grandma Teddy, Tory, and Molly. It was so much fun! Thanks for coming and we love you girls!

No comments:

Labels